If you have transitioned your aging loved one into an assisted living facility, it is still critical that you remain involved in her care. This means that her personal safety should still be at the top of your priority list. There are various ways that you can help your aging loved one maintain her personal safety while living in an assisted living facility. Though these facilities are designed to keep seniors safe, there is always an element of personal responsibility when it comes to staying safe and secure in any environment. Helping your aging loved one understand her role in staying safe while living in an assisted living facility will give you peace of mind knowing she is as safe and secure as possible in her new home.
Here are some tips for helping your aging loved one maintain her personal safety in assisted living:
- Discuss your loved one’s limitations with the administration of the assisted living facility. Find out if there are specific apartments or residences that are designed to address these specific challenges.
- Find out if there are alarms in place to warn the facility staff of any wandering behavior so seniors can be better monitored. Help your aging loved one understand where these alarms are and where she is allowed to go throughout the day.
- Pack an emergency preparedness kit for your loved one and make sure she knows where it is and how to use everything inside. This kit should be kept readily available and be filled with items that will help your aging loved one stay safe during an emergency situation. Pack extra items to help with long emergencies or for others who may be visiting during the event.
- Make sure your loved one knows all of the escape routes throughout the assisted living facility and can use as many as possible. If possible, purchase extra safety supplies such as rope ladders or safety nets for under their windows if they open.
- Provide kitchen gadgets that keep your loved one safe by reducing risks of burns and cuts. Single-cup coffee makers, no-blade can openers and knife-free food choppers are great ways to allow your loved one to prepare her meals and snacks with less danger.
- Encourage your aging loved one to participate in activities that strengthen their body such as dancing, aerobics and hiking.
Discuss any other personal safety considerations with the administration of the assisted living facility to get more tips on how to keep your loved one safe.
When researching options for assisted living in Clear Lake, TX call us at (832) 315-3219. Assisted Living counselors at Serenity Gardens are available to talk with you about your caregiving needs while providing better, affordable care for you or a loved one.