It’s common for elderly people to want to stay in their own home. They can’t see why they should move; after all, they have lived in that home for decades now. But over the years, the neighborhood has changed. They may not have any friends in the neighborhood anymore; old neighbors have died or perhaps moved away. Elderly people can become very isolated in their own homes this way.
A move into an assisted living facility, or assisted living center as they’re sometimes known, can really give elderly people living alone, a new lease on their life.
Disadvantages of elderly people living alone in their own home
- Older homes often have the bedrooms and bathrooms on the second floor, which means they have to go up and down stairs several times per day. It takes a lot of energy for a senior to climb a long flight of stairs, and they also pose a falling hazard.
- The neighborhood their house is located in may no longer be safe like it was years ago.
- If there are no friends living close by, the senior can be a target or they can be forgotten and isolated.
Advantages of moving to an assisted living facility
- Elderly loved ones enjoy safety and a comfortable environment at the assisted living center. There are other people there to make friends with, and they can call for help easily if there is an emergency.
- There is a healthy social system at assisted living centers and lots of opportunity to mingle with other people. For seniors who prefer their privacy, there are plenty of opportunities for that too.
- Meals and eating become more enjoyable. They can have the communal dinner or fix a light meal for themselves and eat in front of the TV in their room if they prefer. Many people do not like to eat alone, and so that’s a big benefit of assisted living.
- There is generally less to worry about. The elderly loved one will be able to go on enjoying the hobbies and crafts and many of the activities they enjoyed before; their family enjoys peace of mind knowing their loved one is living comfortably and safely and still enjoying a healthy amount of independence.
- Very open visitation policy. Your elderly loved one can still enjoy the company of family and friends, and can go out on day trips or to go shopping.
- Transportation. Some facilities provide some transportation to certain events. Some do not provide transportation but can assist the senior in arranging public or handicapped transportation.
When researching options for assisted living in Dickinson, TX call us at (832) 315-3219. Assisted Living counselors at Serenity Gardens are available to talk with you about your caregiving needs while providing better, affordable care for you or a loved one.