It may be difficult at first to make the decision to move a family member into an assisted living center. Perhaps the benefits are not immediately apparent. You may have heard that older adults will enjoy safety and have people around them to be friends with, will have a ride available to the doctor and activities to keep them busy, you don’t know how they will adjust. Will they really find all these benefits there? Here they are in more detail.
The real benefits of assisted living
- There is a health care and wellness plan
- There is nursing staff with professional training
- Family members enjoy peace of mind that a nurse oversees healthcare needs
- There are other around to help the loved one in daily living
- They will not be alone in case of a fall or accident
- A call will be made quickly in case of an emergency
- There will be safety strategies in place such as alert buttons to wear on a pendant, systems for emergency response, etc.
- Help with vacuuming and floor sweeping and mopping in their apartment
- Bed will be made
- Fridge cleaned out
- Light bulbs changed
- Bathroom and toilet cleaned
- Small but very important daily tasks done for them to make life safer and easier
- One or more meals per day are prepared and served to the residents
- There are often a variety of meal choices, and sometimes even a time choice
- Special considerations related to diets are usually accommodated
- Meals are one of the most important activities of the day; sometimes the meal is combined with a social activity
- There are a lot of losses associated with old age, including loss of spouse, loss of loved ones, and loss of friends. Assisted Living communities offer a constant source of people to be friends with.
- Friendship and acquaintances combats loneliness and isolation.
- Enjoy conversation and social activities
- Friends and social events improve quality of life
- There is usually some transportation available to go to doctor’s appointments, visiting friends, social activities, shopping and recreation.
- No worries from family that the elderly loved one is driving with failing eyesight
- Avoid the increase of insurance costs when the adult enters old age
Restoration of family roles and relationships
- Family caregivers can get back to their roles now that someone else can look after grandma
- Family members can continue to be very active in the elderly family member’s life, but now as a daughter, son, granddaughter, etc. while the trained staff at the assisted living center takes care of the daily needs and tasks of living.
When researching options for assisted living in Houston, TX call us at (832) 315-3219. Assisted Living counselors at Serenity Gardens are available to talk with you about your caregiving needs while providing better, affordable care for you or a loved one.